Table of Contents
In this post, we are going to tell you what this career is about. In addition, we are going to tell you what a video game designer does, and the salary you can earn. Also, you will find out what are the advantages and disadvantages of studying this degree.
What is a career in Game Development?
Video Game development not only helps to facilitate the interaction between the player and the console, or between players, it can also be very helpful for medical, military purposes, or for the development of educational programs.
To develop a video game you need a multidisciplinary group that is going to take charge of different stages:
- Conception of the idea.
- The artistic design.
- Sound effects and music.
- Creation of the world where the narrative and the history of the characters take place.
The interface of the player or players
What does a graduate in Video Game Development do?
The Video Game Developer through an Animation University is able to work and participate in each of these stages of the development of a video game, such as:
- Game designer. The one in charge of creating general concept of the game. He/she also oversees the entire project.
- Level designer. Dedicated to creating levels and different locations in a game. That is to say, how is the world going to be where the history of the video game develops.
- Art director. Decides everything that relates to the style of a game. He/she is the leader of all other art and concept designers. For example, those who are in charge of the characters, color, the storyboard, and the scenes.
- Character designer. Responsible for designing all the characters and their narratives. He/she works and creates many templates and options so that other artists can work properly. In the end, they model the final characters that appear in the game. From the protagonists to those who work as extras.
- QA Tester. He/she is dedicated to testing games for errors. Also, ascertain that everything works as it is supposed to.
More specifically, a video game designer can:
- Design and manage software production. This is how it is capable of creating interactive entertainment content.
- Know the theoretical foundations of artificial intelligence and develop codes for its programming. Programming is a very important part of the development of any video game. Animaster design school has come up with one of the best game development courses.
- Edit interactive entertainment in specialized software.
- Develop codes in the programming platforms of different operating systems. For example in Microsoft Visual Studio and Oracle JAVA. Both are the most widely used standards in the video game industry.
- Know the history, development, and potential of computer graphics. As well as the history of the scientific and mathematical processes for vector acceleration, which are the tools with which virtual animation is made
- Create and publish intellectual property, such as cell phone or tablet operating systems, consoles, or computers.
Consider studying Game Development if:
- You consider yourself a creative person. In this career, you will learn to exploit your creative ability and sensitivity to the visual arts. In addition, learn to create characters and stories.
- You know or would like to learn programming and digital animation. Video games are platforms that require a visual appeal.
- You know about the software. In this career, it is necessary to have basic knowledge about specialized software in programming and digital animation.
- For that you can join a Bsc Animation College as in a Government Animation College that can help you with an animation degree.
- Courses that can help you with Video Game development are BA Visual Communication or BSc Viscom
Where does a video game development graduate work?
As a video game developer, you can work in digital programming and development companies. You can work as:
- Video Game developer for different platforms. Either for consoles or computer or cell games.
- Technical manager of digital content for video games.
- Technical artists specialized in video games. Using a special design and animation software.
- National and foreign companies dedicated to the creation of video games and / or applications for cell phones or tablets.
- Advertising agencies that perform interactive entertainment.
- Animation companies that develop intellectual property in 2.5D, 3D, and VFX visual effects. Both for the advertising industry, as for the cinema or television.
- Developers of web applications and software for all types of cell phones and operating systems.
The good of studying Video Game Design
- It is a fast-growing industry. Despite the fact that India is a country where many video games are bought, this industry is also growing for those who are dedicated to the development of games and applications.
- Possibility of studying and/or working abroad. As you surely know, the United States is the main country of video game development. You can consider studying BVA in Animation and Game Art from Animaster College, in this way it will be easier to find work in various famous studios.
- It is a growing industry. So finding a job won’t be difficult, be it as a developer, programmer, or tester.
How much does a Game Developer earn?
- The monthly salary as a developer varies depending on where you work and what you do. The average salary for a Video Game Developer in India is ₹486,961. An entry-level Video Game Developer with less than 1-year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of ₹300,000. An early career Video Game Developer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹486,961. A mid-career Video Game Developer with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹859,884. In addition, also a factor to consider is the experience you have.