A Day of Learning & Designing a Character
On 22nd of Feb 2020, Animaster Graphic design degree college in Bangalore conducted a workshop on Concept Art Character Design as part of a student’s skills development.
- Introduction to Character concept design
- Understanding the fundamentals
- Composition for drawing
- Using Silhouette
- How to use References
- Photo Bashing
- Pushing Design further
- Ability to learn the approaches of concept design
- Understand the universe of characters
- Consistent workflow for a better outcome
- Practical information to apply daily
- Insight of art fundamentals: shapes, value, light, and shadow
- Better composition for art
The main objective of the workshop was to help the students provide the ability to learn the approaches of concept design. They need to have a keen understanding of the universe of characters. Having a steady or consistent workflow is very important for a better outcome. The purpose of the workshop also holds for insight into art fundamentals like shapes, value, light, and shadow. Thus, it will help the students know better composition for arts.
The session started with a brief explanation of getting along with design. Students were briefed about the importance of understanding the process and the elements of Concept Designing.
In the first session, students were taken through a stage where they were explained about the steps they need to proceed with designing.
- Doing research
- Understanding anatomy
- Exploring the universe of art and design
- Becoming a mad scientist and experimenting it
- Able to create expression sheets, model sheets and key poses.
- They were also introduced briefly on the stage ‘Before Drawing’.
- Brainstorm (Think inside the box)
- Do Dynamic Research
- Understand basic shapes
- Design loosely (concept art)
- Establish the mass, mood and palette (understanding colors by getting it right)
- Understand composition and using perspective (Playing with the viewer’s perspective)
- Think about staging
- Readable shapes
- Aim for balance
- Knowing the rules of values
- Archetypes: (Protagonist – Male or Female), (Antagonist – Male or Female), Mentor, Sidekicks, Henchmen, etc
- Use References
- Using Silhouette
- Pushing design Further
The second session mainly contained the practical works, starting with Silhouette rather the sketching; this was to let the students understand the value of silhouette shapes. That continued with rough base painting which was made on top of the shapes using layers in Photoshop. The other techniques used for the workshop were photograph textures (Basic) as photo bashing so that the students will be able to understand the blending modes in order to help them to work faster in any works or assignments given to them. And lastly, taking the artwork for color-correction and compositing it to make it a final and complete work.
Workshop is a great way to learn about a particular subject or methods in order to understand or learn better. Attending workshops can help students achieve success in their academic environment by putting these skills into practice. Animaster being one of the finest animation degree colleges in Bangalore try to provide the students with all sources of educational benefits.
We thank all the students who have actively taken part in the workshop. Our special thanks to Mr. Kezhongol Viswentso for organising such a great learning experience for the students.